Sticky Situations: Gifts From The MOH
So you’re given the privilege to be the Maid of Honour at an upcoming wedding. As the right hand woman of the bride, I believe we’ve established here at WGA that much is to be done on your part. Setting aside the planning and hustling around, there’s also a wedding gift to be presented to the bride and groom from yourself.
The question is, how much should you spend on the gift?
This month’s Sticky Situations puts this money query into discussion!
- For starters, Bridesmaid 101 believes that there’s no mandatory amount of cash to be spent on a bridal gift from the Maid of Honour. Having said that, it’s important to note that as Maid of Honour, you have a long list of costs to bear taking on this role. The same goes for the Best Man.
- Wedding experts on Pop the Question! reckon that while it is still an expectation to give the gift, it does not have to be an expensive item and can be something small or handmade. (Hmm, I foresee a potential DIY project here!)
- As you’re already part of the wedding with a lot of expenses in hand, Nina Callaway believes that price is less than sentiment in this case and the newlyweds wouldn’t want to see you go broke, at the end of the wedding! So, budget yourself wisely!
- Being Maid of Honour also means you’re also a close confidante of the bride. The rule of thumb given by The Knot on wedding gift etiquette is to budget yourself between $100 to $150+.
- And hold up before you breathe a sigh of relief thinking it’s just one gift to buy! Finance pros at 20 Something Finance emphasizes that it’s tradition to get a gift for every party there is. Good thing is, the costs can be split amongst you and the bridesmaids.
- It is customary for every guest to give a wedding gift. If you’re a tad bit tight on costs, ABCD Lady is in full favour of splitting the cost of the gift with your bridesmaids or friends! After all, it is the thought that counts.
Well I suppose it’s pretty clear by now that there’s no set amount as to how much you should spend on the wedding gift even if you’re the Maid of Honour. Go for something that symbolizes your relationship. Fancy or not, the most meaningful gift is not determined by the price tag, but the sentimental value from your heart.